Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Woman Overboard! Day 7 Poem



Afraid of the Deep Blue Sea

of sand, abandoned shells, driftwood,
pebbles, rotting kelp, tangled fishing line,
pieces of broken board, decaying seagulls,
picked apart crabs.
of tidepools, anemones, barnacles,
mussels, starfish, snails.
of surf, foam, waves, swells, riptide.
of the depth, of drowning, of not.


Today's poem was inspired by my belated and reluctant dive into the social network site ocean.  I've declined invitations, ranted against, despaired as real friends seemed to disappear into the abyss. And though I went kicking and screaming, the tide is rising and it's better to swim than to sink, don't you think? So, yeah. I've gotten my feet wet. Besides, I float pretty well.

3 comments:

Mar said...

Love the ending. And welcome. Great poem

Craig Sorensen said...

I can relate.

On several levels.

Well done.

Erobintica said...

Thanks.

LOL, and speaking of well done, have a look see at today's poem (Day 8 - 4/8)