Thursday, April 15, 2010

Next stop - Day 15 Poem

Express Train

No time to hold onto a strap,
to stay standing, retain balance.
Jerking forward – or is it backwards? –
with whiplash speed, hurtling
past those signs from years past:
YOU HAVE NO WORTH
large, garish type
DON'T WASTE TIME ON DREAMS
I want to close my eyes. Not see
these outdated messages, strung out
along these tracks. back back back
Where this train takes me, I don't wish
to go. But this train doesn't stop on it's own.
I could throw myself off, getting bruised,
torn up, risking breakage. Instead,
I wrestle the brake.
Sparks fly.


Yeah, had me a bit of a meltdown this morning. But can't afford to stay there long - it's an expensive train ride. So, I wrote a poem. Cheaper than therapy! And as I finished up this poem, this song popped into my head. I got to see Jethro Tull a couple of times, eons ago! Still great - and this song is one of my favorites.



3 comments:

Janine Ashbless said...

Yay Tull!

I just think you're unbelievably amazing writing a poem a day. I did a 10-week course on poetry and didn't write a single one! I do not know how you do it!

Craig Sorensen said...

Digging the Tull.

And I'm digging the poems too. You're going a lot of places and sharing a lot of emotions. Once again, I can relate to this one.

In a very real sense. Once, in Germany, I had to jump off as the train accelerated from a station.

It wasn't at full speed but was fast enough to hurt...

I hope you can put those signs to rest.

Erobintica said...

Janine, there's still time... ;-)

Hey Craig, yeah, I realized that. By the end of the month I'll have a record of my many mood swings. LOLOLOL I keep waiting to write one that I don't feel comfortable posting (but will anyway) - and I think that is probably going to be soon. Ha! And yeah, those signs... Thanks.