Sunday, April 4, 2010

Home again home again jiggedy jig - Day 4 Poem

The Long Way Home

First of all, I don't want to.
Go home that is.
I want to stay in my woods,
visit longer with the rocks, nap
with all kinds of friendly moss,
let the breeze caress me, the sun
make love to me.
Instead we drive over the mountains,
see a moose, my first, and I am like
a child with excitement, wonder.
Remember the moose tracks in mud
down by the brook
below where we'll live
someday, not too far off,
I hope.


It is so very hard to head home after a way too short weekend up in our Maine woods. But today, on our way, we saw a moose in the road. It was a young male, but it towered over the SUV in front of us. Then it wandered up the hill to the right of us, and though I could see it through the trees, my cell phone camera could not. Oh well. It's my first live wild moose! (we saw a dead one on the side of the road in northern Maine about eight years ago) 

So my wildlife encounters on this trip are (heard or seen): a raven, owls, a woodpecker, turkeys, a moose. Pretty cool. 


1 comment:

Craig Sorensen said...

That is a cool trip. Any time you can commune with nature like that feels so freeing. I can see why it was hard to leave.