Saturday, April 9, 2011

Stepping out: Day 9 Poem


A Word With You

Free association, does that count?
When I hear the word word spoken,
or see it written, what do I think?
The phrase can I have a word with you?
immediately brings on anxiety.
This word is never just one word,
and never good. It's what the teacher,
boss, disapproving friend says to you
before they launch into a verbal barrage
detailing all the ways that you've ventured
outside the status quo. It would be nicer
to have a word with someone about words
such as love, affection, desire, peace.
I don't know where I'm going with this.
Today I am nervous, stepping outside
my own status quo, into the words
unknown, brave, curiosity, future.


 Today's prompt introduced me to a new word: metonymy. This was Shanna Germain's prompte at Not Without Poetry. I'm real curious to see what others do with this.

And I swear my next post will be about the MOMENTUM Conference I went to last weekend, and not another friggin poem!

No comments: