Monday, August 10, 2009

Wake up and smell the laptop

There is an article in The New York Times this morning about how people are waking up and turning on their laptops before they even have their morning coffee. Umm. Yeah. I turn my on first thing when I get up. I actually don't like to eat when I first get up anyhow. So it works.

They use some family whose morning "routine" has changed drastically with the introduction of technology. One of those mythical families that used to gather around the breakfast table. Like in movies. I have been a mom now for over twenty-five years. Only rarely do we all sit down together - most often on a weekend if I or my husband is fixing something "special." During the school year, my kids have had wildly divergent schedules, with the oldest (high school) having to be up at six am. For awhile I had three different morning schedules when my three kids were in high school, middle school, and elementary school. It went for almost three hours. The younger ones sure as hell didn't want to get up early so they could join their siblings around the table. And now that they're older, I let them sleep. Unless they need to be up for some reason.

It's summer, so my routine is not the same (no 6ams) - but I still usually turn on my laptop. Like this morning. Even though I'm in a hotel. I checked my email. One piece of junk and one thing I subscribe to - The New Verse News. It's a blog of "politically progressive poetry on current events and topical issues" and I've subscribed to it for a couple of years now. Nothing else this morning yet. It's summer and it's early - email has been slower than usual.

I know that lots of folks decry how technology has made us less something - fill in the something with whatever behavior you wish. But I always have trouble with those Luddisms. That it's somehow made our lives less rich.

Last night twelve of us, erotic writers/bloggers and some family members, took over a portion of a restaurant and closed the place down. We all "met" online. It was pretty cool. So tell me - how is my life less rich?

9 comments:

Marina said...

Here, here! The internet in particular brings people together. It transcends distance. My world is so greatly enhanced by the fact that I can communicate with people all over the country and all over the world. Some of the most significant, meaningful relationships I have are with people (like last night's dinner crowd!) who I would have never met were it not for technology.

Scarlett Greyson said...

Oh I so wish I could have made it down to meet everyone!

My morning routine is pretty stable. We've a two-story house...so before I go downstairs I shower,dress and so forth(unless it's the weekends, where I stay in my jammies for a while :grin:). Once I get downstairs I feed the dog, start the coffee(or put leftover coffee in the microwave) then turn on my laptop and the wireless router. By the time the coffee is reheated my computer is ready for me.

I love being able to sit in the morning and reach out to the world, and have it reach back. Most mornings I can count on titillating conversations with a fellow writer who lives in Vietnam and catching up on West Coast blogs in between.

I definitely think I'm richer for all of it, and look to be richer still when I finally get the opportunity to meet everyone in person!

Anonymous said...

Erobintica,
I just wanted to post a quick note to tell you how much I enjoyed meeting you this weekend. I also wanted to thank you for giving us a copy of Lacuna ... I've read it cover to cover three times now and you only gave it to us this morning! Craig will have to pry it from my greedy hands LOL. Your poetry is insightful, intelligent and lush with imagery. Fabulously honest and steeped with wisdom. I long for more!!
:)DeDe

Emerald said...

Heh, I indeed relate to the making a beeline to the computer almost first thing when I get up.

I just got home from acupuncture, which I had to wake up from my nap to go to (lol), so I'm doing some catching up online now. It was so great to meet you and meet/see everyone!! Wow. Thanks again so much for making it down and for the copy of your beautiful chapbook (which I plan to look at sometime when my eyes are open for more than 10 minutes when I'm not driving or at an appointment, which has barely happened since I left Perkins this morning ;)).

Scarlett, you were missed. :)

Jeremy Edwards said...

Great weekend with great people!!

I always turn my computer on even before making coffee ... because my computer takes ten minutes to warm up to the point where I can actually use it. That being said, I would probably do it anyway. : )

Jeremy Edwards said...

P.S. Love the title of your post!

Spamword: pertsock

That's me! ; )

And my spamword at Craig's just now was sperm. Clearly, I should run out and buy lottery tickets for everyone tonight.

Erobintica said...

Marina, sometimes I wonder if the internet was invented just in time - because we'd gotten too big and individuals that should meet probably would never otherwise. That's just one of my random thoughts that I keep coming back to because of the way this technology has made a difference in my life. And yesterday was lots of fun - hope you enjoyed driving around with us.

Scarlett - you would have loved it. Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll get your chance. I think most of us were left hungry for more.

DeDe - aww shucks - thank you. It's so funny, I was kind of nervous passing them out - but I had said I would - I think as a way to not let myself chicken out. So, I'm happy that you've found them as enjoyable as you've said. Thank you so much, and I'm glad I got a chance to meet you and Craig and Cyn.

Emerald - it was a pleasure meeting you. And yeah, I turned on my computer as soon as I got up (which was late for me - 9:30am or so).

Jeremy - a pleasure seeing you and Helia again. Haha. I'm used to my mac being ready to go so quickly that if I have to use something else (as happened while working on the chapbook) that I go a little nuts with impatience. My husband goes downstairs (to his basement office) and turns on his then comes up and has breakfast so it'll be ready when he's done and goes to work. Ack! I'd go nuts.

Emerald said...

Also, I forgot to mention that I found your daughter adorable. Thanks for bringing her!

Cora Zane said...

Count me in for the laptop crowd. I turn mine on first thing - coffee or no. ^_^